Design includes a heavy-duty formed and welded steel frame
ZTrak™ Z335E shown
ZTrak Z535M shown
ZTrak Mowers are designed around a heavy-duty formed and welded steel frame for strength and reliability.
Large front caster wheels and large rear drive wheels provide several operator benefits:
The operator platform is roomy and uncluttered for maximum comfort, and the controls are convenient to use:
- Easy to get on and off the mower
- Ample legroom for comfortable operation
- Adjustable motion-control levers for height and position, enabling the operator to stay comfortable while using them
- Color-coded and logically placed controls
Engine is smooth and powerful V-twin design
22-hp (16.4-kW) engine, left rear view
22-hp (16.4-kW) engine, right rear view
A 22-hp (16.4-kW) V-twin engine with 44.2-cu in. (724-cc) displacement provides plenty of power and torque to handle tough mulching, mowing, and bagging conditions:
- V-twin cylinder design for greater torque, lower vibration, and improved sound quality
- Engine model M44
- Electronic ignition for fast starts
- Cast-iron sleeves for longer engine life
- Overhead valves for excellent power and fuel economy
- Spin-on oil filter with pressure lubrication for keeping the oil cleaner for long engine life and extended time between oil changes; pressure lubrication is also more effective when operating the tractor on an incline
- Easy access to the no-tools oil drain valve for oil changes
- Rear engine guard for protecting the engine and providing additional strength and integrity
The Z525E engine has extended life series (ELS) features for enhanced performance and longer life.
Engine oil check/fill tube and oil-drain tube
Replaceable fuel filter and oil filter
Replaceable fuel filter and oil filter are easy to access and change to minimize service time and cost.
John Deere recommends the use of fuel stabilizer in gasoline. See Fuel-Protect for gasoline engines (8 oz) for more information
Operator station is designed for comfort and convenience
Operator station (Z335E shown)
Color-coded controls are easy to identify
Low fuel warning light illuminated
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and convenience when operating all controls:
Excellent visibility forward and to the trim side of the deck makes operation easy and comfortable for the operator.
Controls are color coded for easy identification.
Low-fuel warning light is easily visible in daylight.
Twin-lever controls adjust, using cut-height pin/socket, for convenience and operator comfort.
A shock absorber dampens motion control lever movement to give smooth operation.
Comfortable seat (Z335E shown)
Comfortable seat (Z355E shown)
Comfortable seats make the operator experience more pleasant. Armrests, included on the Z355E seat, can be flipped up out of the way, if desired:
Comfortable seat (Z345M shown)
- Z335M and Z345M – 18-in. (46-cm) high seat back with adjustable armrests
Seat suspension springs
Making seat fore-aft adjustment
Two steel coil suspension springs under the seat absorb shocks when traveling over rougher areas to provide a smoother ride.
The seat has a 2.5-in. (6.35-cm) fore-aft adjustment. The cut-height pin/socket can be used to loosen the bolts in order to make seat adjustments.
Cup holder and storage compartments
The cup holder is designed to hold two common cup sizes securely.
Storage compartment with cover located under seat
Open storage on left side of vehicle
Open storage on left side of vehicle
Covered storage under the seat and open storage along the left side of the vehicle provide safe and secure places for the operator to keep safety equipment, a cell phone, etc.
Operator foot platform
Comfortable operator's platform
Large foot platform helps the operator remain comfortable and secure:
- Volcano grips give a secure grip.
- Raised footrests at the front of the platform provide a comfortable area for the operator's feet.
Instruments and controls are convenient and easy to use
Operator using motion-control levers
Adjustable motion-control levers
The motion-control levers can be adjusted to two height settings and nine fore-aft settings for a total of 18 different positions:
Shock absorber for motion-control levers
Cut-height pin doubles as tracking adjustment tool
A standard shock absorber for the motion-control levers makes maneuvering ZTrak™ Mowers easy and comfortable:
On-board tracking adjustment from the operator seat is quick and easy. The cut-height pin includes a 13-mm wrench and doubles as a convenient tool for adjusting tracking and the motion-control lever position.
Control panel (Z335E shown)
Low fuel warning light illuminated
The operator control panel is conveniently located and easy to use. The following instruments and controls are included:
- Low fuel warning light
- Ignition switch
- Power take-off (PTO) control
- Engine speed/choke control
- A choke position is built into the engine speed control.
The park brake is conveniently located:
- Large lever is easy to use.
- Lever is color-coded for easy identification.
- Park brake effectively holds the machine in the parked position.
- Park brake must be engaged (in the upper position) to start the engine.
- Once the engine is started, the park brake must be disengaged before operating the motion-control levers.
Mower deck lift/cut-height adjustment
Mower deck lift/cut-height adjustment
Mower deck lift/cut-height adjustment in place
- Mower deck cutting height adjusts from 1 in. (2.5 cm) to 4 in. (10.2 cm) in 0.25-in. (0.64-cm) increments for excellent cut quality and performance.
- Mower deck adjustment has built-in memory so the operator can easily return to the desired cutting height after raising the deck.
Serviceability is designed-in for convenience
Service interval decal (Z300 Series shown)
Service interval decal (Z500 Series shown)
A convenient service interval decal provides basic maintenance information. It provides a quick-reference for keeping recommended service up to date.
Mower deck access
Footrest easily removed for access to mower (Z335E shown)
Footrest removal bolt and hand grip (Z335E shown)
The footrest area is hinged and easily raised for service to mower deck:
Loosening bolt to remove platform for access to mower deck
Footrest opens for access to mower deck
Z335E engine oil and fuel filters shown
Z535M and Z535R engine
Z540M and Z540R engine
Easy-to-access oil filter, fill/check oil tube, and oil drain
The engines are easy to service, including changing the oil and the oil filter and servicing the air filter.
Accel Deep Mower Deck
Accel Deep™ Mower Decks have several features that make them easy to service:
- Flat-top design minimizes places for debris to collect.
- Spring-loaded, flip-up belt guards make removing debris easy.
- Provision is provided for a standard, 3/8-in. (9.5-mm) ratchet wrench to be used for releasing belt tension when removing the drive belt.
Tie-down locations are provided for convenience and safety when trailering the machine.
The 48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep™ (48A) Mower Deck cuts clean and is versatile
Z535M ZTrak™ with Accel Deep 48A Mower
Accel Deep 48A Mower
The 48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep Mower Deck is a stamped-steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Optimal performance and dispersion of clippings is provided, even at faster mowing speeds:
- 4.5-in. (11.4-cm) deep throughout the entire deck shell for optimum mowing, mulching, and bagging performance
- Optional MulchControl™ attachment provides superior mulching performance and versatility.
- Stamped-steel design eliminates sharp edges and corners where material can build up and diminish mowing performance
- Mower deck is suspended from the vehicle for a smooth and level cut
- Adjustable mower wheels, positioned just above ground level, help smooth out the mowing job
Excellent cut quality
48A Mower top (similar mower from X700 Series Tractor shown)
48A Mower underside (similar mower from X700 Series Tractor shown)
Deep mower-deck stamping gives excellent cut quality. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck without getting recut:
- Reducing the amount of re-cutting enables more power to be used to cut incoming grass, which greatly improves mower capacity.
- Helps maintain excellent cut quality at faster mowing speeds
- Clean flow of material out of discharge area prevents cut material from interfering with cutting the incoming grass, making it possible for the blades to cut incoming material cleanly.
- Even in mulching mode, cut evenness is improved compared to other designs because the additional depth allows for continuous circulation, optimal re-cutting, and an even distribution of clippings.
Productivity - getting the job done fast
Right side of Accel Deep 48A Mower Deck
Deep mower-deck stamping gives high productivity, which gets the job done fast. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck quickly, reducing the amount of recutting so more power is available to process incoming grass:
- Greatly improves mowers capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult mowing conditions and at higher speeds
Large discharge opening is both high and wide to handle more material:
- Gives a smooth, even discharge of clippings at all mowing speeds
- Reduces the chance of plugging, especially important when operating in wet, thick, or dense grass and when bagging
- The 48A Power Flow™ blower has an inlet housing with over 50 percent greater area than the 48X Power Flow blower used on previous machines.
Cleanliness - for the mower and the operator
Accel Deep 48A Mower Deck
Accel Deep 48A Mower Deck
The flat-top shape of the deck stamping is optimal for keeping itself and the operator clean:
- There are few places to catch and hold material on top and underneath the deck.
- Top of deck stays cleaner, reducing time and effort needed for cleaning and service
- Underside of deck is self-cleaning to maintain optimum performance without buildup of material to interfere with the flow of air and clippings
- Less need to clean and remove buildup of material from underside deck
- The depth of the Accel Deep Mower Deck minimizes the amount of material that escapes from the front of the deck
- Limited amount of material to drift onto the operator and mower deck
- Even for material discharged out the chute, less recutting results in larger pieces that are less likely to end up on the operator
- Mulching prevents the discharge of material completely and the MulchControl attachment makes mulching a practical solution for most mowing situations.
Cleaning a mower deck, both top and bottom, is one of the most frequent maintenance activities:
- The flat-top design reduces places for material to build up and makes material that does collect easy to remove.
Mower wash port
Mower wash port with hose connector
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy.
- Hose connector is included with the mower deck.
Superior durability is designed in
Mower wheels are double captured
The 48A Mower Deck has strong spindle pockets, to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough service:
- Ribs in the deck shell add strength where it is needed.
- The 48A has a 23 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge™ Xtra 48-in. (122-cm) Mower Deck used on previous machines.
Mower wheels are double-captured:
- Provides greater strength and durability for longer, trouble-free life.
- Single-bolt adjustment makes setting wheels to the correct height for the cutting height quick and easy.
Low-tension belt-drive design reduces the side load on engine lower bearings and mower deck bearings for longer life.
The 48A Mower Deck features a 5/8-in. (16-mm) diameter solid-steel rod side bumper that provides extra strength and protection.
Dual-stage E-coat and powder-paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
Versatility - easy to change between side discharge, mulch, and bagging modes
The 48A Mower is designed for maximum versatility, providing the greatest ease in changing from one mower discharge mode to another:
- With the optional MulchControl attachment installed (along with the special mulching blades), changing from side-discharge to mulching or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever.
- The Power Flow rear bagger can be used with the MulchControl attachment and blades installed - by simply placing the MulchControl lever in the side-discharge position.
The MulchControl attachment for the 48A Mower Deck makes mulching more practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- A beautiful looking lawn
- Grass clippings not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- Less fertilizer use
- Elimination of the effort needed to dispose of clippings
How MulchControl works
MulchControl baffle open (similar mower from X700 Series Tractor shown)
MulchControl baffle closed (similar mower from X700 Series Tractor shown)
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl attachment includes baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- The MulchControl baffle, or divider, between the left and middle spindles is about half way down. The height is designed to balance the mulching and side-discharge modes.
- When the MulchControl baffle is open, the divider between the left and middle spindles passes a portion of the material to the discharge opening, along with the material from the middle and right spindle areas.
- When the MulchControl baffle is closed, the material stays within the deck and gets chopped into mulch and deposited in the turf.
MulchControl baffle closed
- The MulchControl handle is located on top of the mower deck and used to open and close the discharge baffle.
- The operator is required to get off of the machine in order to engage or disengage mulch mode.
- Changing from mulching to side discharge or vice versa takes only a few seconds.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
- Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- Usually side-discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
- Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. Now the operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side discharge or bagging when needed.
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl will still mulch about one-third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
- When optimum bagging and lawn clean-up is desired
6.5 bu (230 L) Power Flow rear bagger (rear bagger not available for ZTrak Z355E or Z355R)
Optional rear bagger
Power Flow blower
An optional 6.5-bu (230-L) Power Flow Rear Bagger material collection system (MCS) is available. It provides an efficient means of collecting grass clippings and leaves:
- The Power Flow blower and chute are easy to install. The Power Flow blower swings out for easy cleanout and cleanup.
- The hopper design provides modern styling, great bagging performance, cleaner operation, and easy-to-empty bags:
- 6.5-bu (230-L) capacity
- Easy-to-attach Power Flow blower (ordered separately)
- Easy-to-attach chute (ordered separately)
- Air exhaust duct
- Convenient spring-latch
- Airflow fill indicator
- Quik-Tatch mounting
- Sealed hopper top
- Loose-knit bags available